Dental implants are the artificial titanium tooth roots that are used to replace the missing teeth or to fill up the gap created because of tooth loss. People often lose their teeth when they meet an accident or because on an injury while playing a sport. Tooth loss is also caused because of tooth decay. So in order to revive the missing teeth back, dental implants are cemented to the very foundation of the gums.
Dentures and removable bridges can be usually loose and unstable but implants provide you with solid support as the dental replacements are both natural looking and very functional. Various ways in which dental implants are done – replacing several teeth, replacing all of your teeth, ridge modification (bone grafting), sinus augmentation etc.
What are the advantages of Dental Implants?
There are many advantages to dental implants, including:
- Improved appearance: Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech: With poor-fitting dentures, the denture can slip causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort: Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating: Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem: Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health: Dental implants don't require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability: Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience: Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
HOW SUCCESSFUL ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Success rates of dental implants vary, depending on where in the jaw the implants are placed but, in general, dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%. With proper care , implants can last a lifetime.